Beyond Green Building “One Planet” livingBack to News
Sonoma Mountain Village; The first One Planet Community in the United States
Aug 26, 2011
Sonoma Mountain Village is a re-development of an abandoned former HP business park by Developer, Codding Enterprises into a mixed-use community in the City of Rohnert Park, California. The project will include homes for sale and rent, a town square, farmers market, neighborhood parks, miles of walking paths, grocery and locally owned stores, small hotel, community civic center, fitness center, all-weather soccer field, electric vehicle charging stations, bike and car sharing programs, a One Planet Living Center and Lifestyle Concierge for networking, education and information about global best practices.
Codding realized early on that to be truly sustainable they would have to look beyond the typical business-as-usual model and started discussions with One Planet Communities who helped them devise a plan structured around 10 basic principles to reduce the ecological footprint of the entire 1900-home community down to a truly sustainable, one-planet level. The intention is to achieve or surpass the following goals by build out:
1. Zero Carbon: zero use of fossil fuels for building energy;
2. Zero Waste: 98% reduction in solid waste send to the landfill;
3. Sustainable Transportation: 82% reduction in Greenhouse Gas emissions from transportation;
4. Sustainable Materials: 60% of building materials to come from within 500 miles of the site;
5. Local & Sustainable Food: 25% of the food from within 50 miles, 65% from within 300 miles;
6. Sustainable Water: no new water allocations – the entire project will use less water than was allocated for the original light industrial campus;
7. Culture & Heritage: create a living culture and connect people to the place;
8. Equity and the Local Economy: 30% affordable housing and over 4400 jobs;
9. Land Use & Wildlife: 20% of the site to be open, green space, 10% restored to native habitat;
10. Health & Happiness: overall create a friendlier, healthier and safer neighborhood.
Sonoma Mountain Village subsequently became the first endorsed One Planet Community in North America.
Since early in the development of this plan Sonoma Mountain Village has received an overwhelming response by future residents and prospective tenants. There is currently an interest list of over 2500 people that is steadily increasing. Codding believes that with this very well thought out plan they are able to offer people a lifestyle that encompasses all the luxury and beauty of a new home community within ultra sustainable surroundings.
Most of the work and planning will already be in place for someone to live a One Planet Lifestyle. Every home will be located within a 5 minute walk of daily services and recreation, everybody that works at Sonoma Mountain Village can afford to live there, fresh healthy food will be available daily to residents, tenants & visitors or they can grow their own in the community gardens, multiple transportation options including car sharing, bike sharing, carpooling, bus and train will be easily accessed, and there will be a Lifestyle Concierge on hand at all times to assist and further develop this sustainable lifestyle. For more information please visit the Sonoma Mountain Village website
- Contact Info:
- Kirstie Moore, Development Manager, Sonoma Mountain Village